Wishing for My Old Camera

There’s no blue color on the actual specimen.

I replace my broken Canon A40 with a Canon A530. And I spent about four hours shooting my fluorescent minerals.

The results were horrible. It’s probably too early to fault the camera, as operator error might be the cause.
The old A40 did a pretty good job, especially with the brighter fluorescence. The color match was great.

And little extra blue cast was added. The old camera would add an excessive blue cast to specimens with a dull fluorescence. But it was easy to edit out. The natural light photos were excellent.

Removing the blue leaves green. There’s no green on the specimen.

The A530 seems to have lost all the positive attributes of the A40. And it compounds all the negative aspects in each shot. All fluorescent colors, from blue to red, are way out of balance. There’s an excessive blue cast in every fluorescent photo. Bright fluorescent specimens barely register. And those that do are over exposed to white. Natural light photos show a strong yellow to orange cast.

I tried several setting and lighting combinations. Took over 200 shots. Tried to correct those shots with a photo editor. And still couldn’t get them to satisfactorily look like the specimens.

Removing the green makes a near miss of the bright orange sodalite.

With the A40, I’d correct the occasional photo by removing any slight blue cast and adjusting the color balance.Then I’d crop the photo using a cropping wizard, which was fast and did a good job most of the time. And I’d replace the background with black to reduce the image size.

I’ll give it break. Research and think about it some. And then test some more. After four hours and 200 plus shots, I’m not optimistic about the results. But maybe I’ve missed just one setting which will make all the difference.

Until then, I’m missing the old A40 and you guys are stuck with the old photos. But that shouldn’t cause much consternation with only 34 visitors to this site in six months. 🙂


Scroll to top